Sierra Wireless and Open Source M2M
Sierra Wireless and the Eclipse Foundation establish an M2M Industry Working Group.
Sierra Wireless and the Eclipse Foundation have formed a M2M Industry Working Group to define and implement an open standard platform for the software development tools used in developing machine-to-machine (M2M) communications applications. IBM and Eurotech are also founding members of the M2M Industry Working Group, which is open to clients, Telco’s, IT companies, or suppliers of M2M solutions.
The market for M2M solutions is growing, but rapid growth is hindered by incompatible platforms and protocols that require developers to continually reinvent solutions that have already been created. This situation slows innovation and creates maintenance and upgrade problems as deployments evolve over time. The founding members of the M2M IWG believe the creation of open tools, open protocols, open interfaces and open APIs are the best approach to addressing these problems, bringing tremendous value to the M2M ecosystem.
Read more about the M2M IWG charter.
Sierra Wireless Contributing Open Source M2M Tools
Sierra Wireless has contributed the first open source M2M tool chain to the Eclipse Foundation called the Koneki Project providing a full-featured embedded development environment for the Lua programming language. The long term objective of Koneki is to provide M2M wireless fault tolerant communications protocols as well as a common set of tools and application programming interfaces (APIs) that simplify development of the embedded portion of M2M applications across multiple embedded environments (such as Linux, Java, and Open AT®).
- Ease M2M embedded application development with Lua – a lightweight scripting language well-suited for the embedded portion of M2M applications.
- Provide support for wireless fault tolerant communication protocols used in M2M applications
- Facilitate smooth integration of M2M servers
- Establish an M2M application model
- Provide tooling built on top of the M2M application model to improve M2M development experience
The Koneki project is seeded with an initial contribution from the Sierra Wireless AirVantage M2M Cloud in the form of the following tools:
- A Lua source code editor
- Lua debugger
- Set of plug-ins including the prototype of an M2M component model, with a graphical editor to visualize and modify the application structure
For more information: